Disabled Sports USA (a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization) is a national leader in adaptive sports. We have been at the forefront of adaptive sports and recreation in the U.S. for more than fifty years. Through sports, we help individuals with disabilities prosper and thrive.
Today, our industry-leading expertise and expanding network of 125 chapters in 40 states reach more than 60,000 youth and adults with disabilities annually. Our commitment is for every person, regardless of ability, to have an equal opportunity to participate in sports and recreation in their community.
DSUSA has a 50-year track record for accomplishing ambitious goals by managing programs efficiently. This year, DSUSA achieved an overall, combined administrative and fundraising expense rate of 11.7%, a fraction of the amount deemed outstanding by Charity Navigator. DSUSA undergoes multiple financial and compliance audits each year and consistently receives unqualified reports.
At Disabled Sports USA, we create the environment and opportunities that each year lead to tens of thousands of life-changing, transformative experiences expressed in our motto: “If I can do this, I can do anything!”
The Disabled Sports USA Board of Directors is seeking a new Executive Director with dynamic attributes and skills to lead the organization into the future and insure its ongoing success as a national leader.
The Executive Director’s responsibility is to collaborate with the Board to set the strategic plan and vision of the organization; to develop tactics for achieving DSUSA’s mission, goals and objectives, and to carry out the same. The Executive Director reports to the Board, which delegates responsibility for management and day-to-day operations to the Executive Director, who has the authority to carry out these responsibilities, in accordance with the direction and policies established by the Board.
The Executive Director provides management and leadership to DSUSA staff in a cooperative, unified and open environment. The Executive Director will have full operational authority of the DSUSA.
This position will be based in Rockville, Maryland.
- Responsible for effective administration and implementation of Disabled Sports USA operations, programs, mission and vision.
- Serve as DSUSA’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the public.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with various professional, civic and private organizations to present DSUSA, its vision and services through public presentations and by attending relevant business events, conferences and gatherings.
- Responsible for fundraising, including identifying and cultivating corporate, governmental, individual, foundation sponsors and resources necessary to support the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading strategic planning and implementation objectives to ensure that DSUSA has a long-range strategy to successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Provide leadership in developing program, communication, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Oversee employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions.
- Review and approve contracts.
- Responsible for working with the CFO to ensure the fiscal integrity of DSUSA.
- Work with the CFO to ensure that DSUSA is compliant with all relevant state and federal laws, regulations and with standard accounting procedures.
- Build a high-performing senior leadership team and maintain a climate which attracts, motivates, develops and retains a diverse best-in-class staff.
- Identify and implement cost-effective ways to deliver state-of-the-art programs to clients.
- Cultivate excellent relationships with local and national media; provide oversight for DSUSA’s presence in social media.
- Regularly inform the Board of internal organization matters, including relevant staffing, funding and program success and priorities.
- Keep DSUSA current and at the forefront of state, regional and national adaptive sports organizations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Ten or more years of senior nonprofit management and leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Postgraduate degree in Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, Finance, Economics or equivalent is a plus.
- Background in recreation and sports program management is a plus.
- Passion for and ability to convey the mission and vision of Disabled Sports USA to a diverse group of volunteers, participants and donors.
- Expertise in fundraising, managing fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector with proven results.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to lead a high-performing senior leadership team and play an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a best-in-class staff.
- Transparent, high integrity leader possessing strong organizational, motivational, collaboration and innovation skills.
- Ability to collaborate with and motivate board and staff members and volunteers.
- Impeccable work ethic.
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Quality benefits package includes health, 403b retirement plan and paid time off. Disabled Sports USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates should apply online at prodigysports.net/job-board. No phone calls please.
For any additional questions, please email email@example.com.