The NBA 2K esports league will launch next year with teams for 17 NBA franchises. Take-Two, the parent company of NBA 2K publisher 2K Sports, will run the league jointly with the NBA. The two companies announced the organization in February as the NBA 2K League.
The NBA is a global sports and media business built around three professional sports leagues: the National Basketball Association, the Women’s National Basketball Association, and the NBA Development League. The league has established a major international presence with games and programming in 215 countries and territories in 49 languages, and NBA merchandise for sale in more than 125,000 stores in 100 countries on 6 continents. NBA rosters at the start of the 2016-17 season featured a record 113 international players from 41 countries and territories. NBA Digital’s assets include NBA TV, NBA.com and the NBA App, which achieved record viewership and traffic during the 2015-16 season. The NBA has created one of the largest social media communities in the world, with more than 1.3 billion likes and followers globally across all league, team, and player platforms. Through NBA Cares, the league addresses important social issues by working with internationally recognized youth-serving organizations that support education, youth and family development, and health-related causes.
This position will be responsible for leading the operations of the NBA’s recently announced NBA 2K League, as well as serve as the NBA’s resident expert on esports. This person will also be responsible for player relationships and management.
- Establish league operations for NBA 2K League.
- Assist in crafting player and team requirements and guidelines.
- Assist in building league schedule, league draft rules and requirements, and operations manual.
- Establish plan for league expansion.
- Serve as consultant to teams on esports operations.
- Be at the forefront of new esports industry developments.
- Maintain relationships with leading esports organizations.
- Present to senior executives on developments in the esports community.
- 7+ years in operations at a media, entertainment, or sports company.
- 2+ years’ experience working directly in the esports/Gaming sector.
- Significant experience in esports league development.
- Relationships throughout esports community (teams, leagues, service providers).
- Ability to manage diverse set of stakeholders.
- Communications skills to develop materials and present to senior executives.
- Has relevant media and esports contacts.
- Has played and is comprehensive in most major esports titles.
- Passion for basketball preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint.