The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) is a ten-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league, featuring national team players from around the world. The clubs are the Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, FC Kansas City, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, Seattle Reign FC, Sky Blue FC, and the Washington Spirit. Based in Chicago, the NWSL is supported by the Canadian Soccer Association and the United States Soccer Federation.
NWSL Media, a joint venture between the NWSL and A+E Networks and based in New York City, acts as the media and commercial arm of the league, overseeing all of its global broadcast and sponsorship rights. In addition, NWSL Media manages all digital assets for the NWSL including a re-designed NWSLSoccer.com, a new NWSL app on iOS and Android, and the league’s social media platforms.
Lifetime, the premier entertainment destination for women, has made an unprecedented commitment with a three-year agreement to be the official broadcast partner of the NWSL. For the first time in NWSL’s history, starting in the 2017 season, a league game will be broadcast on television each week of the season.
For the 2017 season, each of the league’s 10 clubs will play a total of 24 games consisting of 12 matches at home and 12 away. The 2017 NWSL regular season began on Saturday, April 15 and will conclude on Saturday, Sept. 30. The top four teams will qualify for the 2017 NWSL Playoffs and compete in the semifinals on the weekend of Oct. 7-8 and advance to the NWSL Championship on Saturday, Oct. 14 at Orlando City Stadium in Orlando.
The Head of Sponsorship Sales is responsible for overseeing the sponsorship sales and fulfillment activities for the league. The Head of Sponsorship Sales role will require collaboration across internal stakeholders (e.g. Operations, Editorial, Production, Digital, Legal, A+E Sales) and external stakeholders (e.g., National Broadcast partners) to maximize all revenue opportunities. This position is located in New York City.
- Build and manage a team of up to three (two Account Executives and one Sales Coordinator) to meet and exceed annual revenue goals.
- Maximize revenue opportunity by researching and exploring all sponsorship inventory available for the league.
- Identify potential brand partners and develop meaningful relationships with key-decision makers to sell-in sponsorship opportunities.
- Develop competitive pricing structure and create strategic sales presentations and standard “packages” to present to senior-level executives.
- Negotiate and execute sponsorship deals in collaboration with teams and broadcast partners.
- Develop fulfillment processes to ensure deal compliance and review performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 5 – 10 years of experience in sports media/sponsorship sales experience.
- Strong leadership skills with track record of managing and motivating effective teams.
- Self-starter, goal-oriented with strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment.
- Proven ability to network and develop strategic relationships with clients/agencies/brands.
- Strong presentation, business, and negotiation skills.
- Proven decision-making skills and problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel and work non-traditional hours, within a sports league atmosphere.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Deep understanding of the sport of Soccer and the business of Soccer.
- Desire to be part of a team.
- Display a tireless work ethic.
- Possess a growth mindset, is open minded and seeks challenges.
- Pursue lifelong development and learning.
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner.
- Accountable for actions/decisions and does not make excuses.
- Request feedback and is open to criticism.
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection.
- Believe and commit to the company’s culture and organizational goals.