Founded in 1969, Richard Childress Racing is one of the largest and most storied organizations in NASCAR competition. RCR currently fields three teams in the NASCAR Cup Series and five teams in the NASCAR XFINITY Series.
Throughout our history, RCR has accumulated a total of 17 championships and more than 200 victories across NASCAR’s top three series, including two Daytona 500 wins and three Brickyard 400 victories, two of the sport’s crown jewels of competition. RCR was the first organization in NASCAR history to win championships across all three national touring series.
On our 17-building, 52-acre campus in Welcome, North Carolina, RCR’s 530 team members build race cars from the ground up in a fully-integrated vertical manufacturing operation. With a culture focused on innovation, our engineering team utilizes cutting-edge technologies to continuously improve the performance of our race cars.
Our headquarters is also home to ECR Engines, a subsidiary of RCR that provides high-performance motors to our and other Chevrolet teams in NASCAR’s top three national series. ECR uses advanced technologies for research & development and engine production that has earned it more than 250 victories across multiple national motorsports series and championships in the XFINITY, Camping World Truck and ARCA Racing Series.
RCR’s on-track success could not be possible without the help of our corporate partners. RCR maintains successful relationships with a host of blue-chip brands including Caterpillar, Menards, Dow, General Mills, American Ethanol, Grainger, WIX Filters, AAA, Chevrolet and Bass Pro Shops.
Current Monster Energy Cup drivers include: Austin Dillon (#3 Car), Paul Menard (#27 Car), Ryan Newman (#31 Car), and Ty Dillon (#13 Car).
The Director, Business Development reports to the Vice President of Business Development for RCR. The general responsibilities shall include managing his/her personal sponsorship sales funnel, including identifying, prioritizing, pursuing and closing new partnership opportunities for RCR using a conceptual selling model. This includes generation of sponsorship across all RCR teams/properties (both dollar-based and in-kind and), potential partnerships for B2B relationships, and other RCR incremental revenue activities such as show car programs, license of RCR marks, etc. The Director, Business Development will work closely with the Partnership Marketing team, Communications team, the Licensing & Merchandise Services team, and various competition departments to ensure that RCR revenue is optimized and that RCR assets can/will be delivered to potential partners. Additionally, the Director, Business Development will be involved in strategic planning relative to requirements / needs between sponsorship, competition and operations areas.
TEAM SPONSORSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that RCR teams have appropriate levels of primary and secondary sponsorship. Meet annual sales targets.
- Primary responsibility is generating new partnerships; secondary responsibility shall be renewals (in concert with Partnership Marketing and executive management).
- Create, manage, pursue and communicate an active and robust sales pipeline.
- Create proposals, make presentations and build relationships with potential sponsors.
- Negotiate business points, address contract issues and close deals.
- Use conceptual selling model to successfully assess, create solutions and satisfy needs of new partner prospects.
- Create new relationships and support existing relationships with current RCR partners.
- Support and assist RCR executive team and Partnership Marketing group to assess renewals, develop proposed plans for renewals or expansions of partnerships, or develop alternate plans for category (if sponsorship not renewed).
- Identify incremental opportunities to add to teams’ bottom line and which benefit RCR.
- Support development of the selling materials (setting strategy, guiding creative and maintaining the overall integrity of the sales materials.). Work collaboratively with Director, Marketing & Content Strategy to refine and develop most effective selling materials.
- Learn and be proficient with all CRM and database tools (e.g. Salesforce.com, The List) used at RCR that host current list(s) of active and inactive prospects.
- Provide routine reports to VP, Business Development that provide up-to-date information pertaining to status, next steps, issues, assistance needed, estimated probability and timetable for deals to close.
- Analyze and provide trend data relating to industries targeted by RCR BD Team along with plan of action reports to demonstrate how RCR can capitalize upon opportunities.
- Cultivate relationships with industry contacts, NASCAR (sales team), ad & promotional agencies, sports agencies, etc. to leverage their client lists and contacts for potential sponsors.
CORPORATE PARTNERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with competition dept. to determine strategic priorities and understand needs in identifying opportunities for corporate level (non-team specific) partnerships with RCR and appropriate thresholds:
- Competition-based partnerships (e.g., Zeiss, PTC, Okuma)
- General technology or operational partnerships (IT, etc.)
- In-kind deals (e.g., uniforms, equipment, travel, etc.)
- Work with Licensing & Merchandise Services and Partnership Marketing areas in the leveraging of RCR brand for potential third-party partnerships.
- Co-marketing agreements.
- Licensing of RCR mark for non-traditional mediums – working closely with licensing area.
STRATEGIC PLANNING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in discussions and provide appropriate input relative to future direction & strategy on teams and drivers
- Work with President, CMO and VP, Business Development to assess needs for future, strategic issues for overall department, marketing plans, and potential budgetary issues or constraints
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented personality with multitasking abilities.
- 5-8 years of related experience in sports or other sponsorship property sales, or corporate sales.
- Demonstrated understanding and success of conceptual sales (vs asset/inventory-based sales).
- Highly motivated team player; will fit into the RCR culture – a family grown and run business that expects results.
- Ability to work with the various departments/personnel at RCR, and our partners, and accept pressure and responsibility of project work.
- Travel required, including a number of race weekends.
Qualified candidates should apply online at prodigysports.net/job-board. No phone calls please.
For any additional questions, please email email@example.com