The United States Hockey League returned to Dubuque, Iowa for the 2010-11 season as the Fighting Saints, and in their expansion season earned a first place finish in the West Division and garnered the third-best record in the 16-team league. The USHL is the premier junior league in America attracting the very best players from around the country, as well as, Canada and Europe. Currently, there are over 150 USHL alumni playing or under contract with a National Hockey League team and over 260 college commitments.
Winners of 5 National Championships, 5 Clark Cups, 3 Anderson Cups, and a Bronze Medal at the 2013 Junior Club World Cup, the Dubuque Fighting Saints have a tradition of success. Entering its sixth season since returning to the USHL, the current Dubuque Fighting Saints are a group committed to becoming one of the preeminent junior hockey organizations in North America. With an ownership group that has a deep history of being in the front offices of two NHL teams and a philosophy of applying a major league approach to junior hockey, the Fighting Saints are fully committed to developing talent both on and off the ice and advancing our players, coaches and staff on to NCAA and professional hockey.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the responsibility for the day to day business operations of the Fighting Saints organization, reporting directly to the current Managing Partner of Northern Lights Hockey, LLC – Brad Kwong (or designee). We are seeking a highly motivated individual that has the experience, drive and desire to build Dubuque into one of the premier franchises in North America. The successful candidate must be a results oriented professional with a successful track record of building winning sales and management teams and must be both successful and comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced, start up environment and directing a young, motivated staff. The president will be responsible for all revenue generation functions within the organization including the sale of fully integrated corporate partnerships, all ticketing – individual, season and groups – and suite sales. The successful candidate will also be responsible managing all game day operations, community relations, marketing, advertising, promotions and box office functions.
- Lead additional hiring of business staff to complement existing business operations staff. Foster a “team first mentality while managing all staff including direct reports: Vice President of Business Operations, Manager of Ticket Sales, Manager of Corporate Partnerships, Marketing Manager, etc.
- Prepare and manage annual business plan and budget in concert with appropriate staff, Head Coach/General Manager and Managing Partner.
- Develop and sell industry leading sponsorship packages and maintain a personal client base of corporate partners and suite holders. Foster and promote ‘Customer Centric’ business practices.
- Prepare daily and weekly ticket sales and corporate partnership sales reports.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors including but not limited to, advertising agency, ticket technology company and broadcast partners.
- Oversee game day operations and promotions.
- Create profitable licensing, merchandising and retail programs.
- Work closely with hockey staff to coordinate all marketing activities and general operations.
- Create and execute effective community outreach programs in order to build a strong brand and image for the team in the community.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the ownership group, USHL office, City of Dubuque officials and the Dubuque Community Ice & Recreation Center, Inc.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Experienced leader and senior executive with appropriate experience.
- Energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- Well organized and self-directed individual who is “politically savvy” and possesses experience with strong local community interaction.
- Intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills.
- Good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor
- Excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts.
- Decisive individual who possesses a “big picture” perspective and is well versed in systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field from accredited four-year college or university.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience working with a professional sports team. The ideal person will bring major league concepts to this minor league team.
- Superior communication skills, collaborative with strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Results oriented leader with proven ability to motivate people and maximize revenue production.
- Proven track record in sponsorship and/or ticket sales – in terms of both personal accomplishments and leading successful sales teams.
- Experience managing a diverse staff of both full-time and part-time employees.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles including income statements, balance sheets and General Ledger accounting.
- Experience working with ticketing systems preferred.
- Willingness and ability to work long hours, including holidays and weekends as required.