The 2017 World Rowing Championships are expected to attract more than 1,000 Olympic-caliber athletes from more than 70 countries, and will be broadcast to a worldwide television audience of 130 million people. An estimated 40,000 spectators are expected to attend over a 9 day period (September 23 – October 1, 2017).
This will mark the first time the International Federation of Rowing Associations (FISA) has selected the United States to host the championships in more than two decades. The events will be hosted in Sarasota and Manatee Counties in Central Florida, and the competition staged in Nathan Benderson Park (NBP). The region was selected through a rigorous bid process successfully submitted by Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates (the not-for-profit managers of NBP), in partnership with Sarasota and Manatee Counties, acting together as the event’s organizing committee.
It is the responsibility of the partnership between SANCA, Sarasota County, and Manatee County, to deliver a world-class event, and the shared aspiration to stage the most successful World Rowing Championships program in FISA history. The aim of the partners is to position Sarasota/Manatee as the United States’ base for world rowing, to attract sports and business tourism to the region, to encourage the future hosting of major events, including additional World Rowing Championships, and to present athletes, residents, and visitors alike with a quality-of-life enhancing opportunity to enjoy NBP and athleticism at its best.
- Oversight all elements of project management and bid compliance, including the development and communication of key dates and deadlines, master schedules, site plans, and contract fulfillment.
- Lead a select team of experienced event staff responsible to deliver a world-class experience for athletes, teams, media, guests, and corporate partners of the Organizing Committee and FISA, as manifest in:
- Seamless logistics, including accommodations, transportation, parking, catering, security, and on- and off-site experiences.
- Expert planning, preparation, and temporary construction of all athlete and guest requirements.
- Maximize positive financial performance through the strategic development of sustainable revenue streams including an aggressive ticket and package sales campaign and ambitious regional sponsor sales and activation effort, as well as merchandising, concessions, and other income-producing initiatives.
- Oversee staff, committee, and partner resources responsible for the successful marketing and promotion of the 2017 World Rowing Championships and the sport of rowing.
- Work collaboratively with SANCA staff to deliver Nathan Benderson Park as the ultimate stage for world-class rowing competition and broadcast coverage thereof.
- Work collaboratively with the 2017 World Rowing Championships Host Committee (Host Committee), FISA, state and regional government officials to focus all stakeholders on staging the most highly regarded program in the history of the event. The metrics for success will include operational and competitive excellence, robust attendance and media coverage, overwhelmingly positive media and community reaction before, during and after the event, positive financial performance, and a shining global legacy for Sarasota-Bradenton, Nathan Benderson Park/SANCA, US Rowing, and the sport of rowing.
- Work in partnership with the Host Committee to maintain and actively build community and local business support for the 2017 World Rowing Championships.
- Maintain meticulous management and control over the event budget and ensure that all legal, financial, human resources, and risk management requirements are flawlessly executed. Oversee post-event wrap-up, evaluation and reporting.
- Any and all other activities required to exceed the high expectations of FISA, the Host Committee, and the community.
The ideal candidate will possess ten-to-fifteen years of experience in managing public, corporate, and/or sports-related events. This experience will include a successful track record in managing the entirety of large- and medium-sized events, with particular expertise in successfully leading high-performing staff focused on project management, operational logistics, sponsor development, event marketing and promotion.
The ideal candidate will offer a proven track record of exceeding expectations while working in a high-pressure, time-sensitive, and team-oriented environment. The ability to manage multiple work streams requires an exemplary detail-orientation and outstanding organizational and time management skills.