The Rose Quarter is a 30-acre sports and entertainment district located in Portland’s Lloyd District on the east bank of the Willamette River, just east of downtown. The Rose Quarter contains two multipurpose arenas – The Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum – as well as a box office, four parking garages, a 40,000-square-foot convention facility, several restaurants and bars, and a large public space, the Rose Quarter Commons.
The Moda Center, which opened in 1995, is a 785,000-square-foot, 19,980-seat multipurpose arena and is the current home of the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association, the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League, and the Portland Thunder of the Arena Football League. It is also used for concerts, circuses, rodeos, ice shows, and conventions.
The Memorial Coliseum, commonly known as “The Glass Palace,” is a 12,888-seat multipurpose arena located on the Rose Quarter campus. Built in 1960, it was the original home of the Portland Trail Blazers. The arena is still actively used for Portland Winterhawks hockey games, as well as concerts, circuses, rodeos, ice shows, and conventions, and hosted the 2007 Davis Cup Final between the United States and Russia.
The General Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Rose Quarter, Moda Center, and the Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum to ensure extraordinary moments. The General Manager will also be responsible for ensuring that the organization is maximizing opportunities to book and facilitate the presentation of profitable events and will be involved extensively in all aspects of planning, decision making, securing of required resources and deployment of all resources necessary for creating extraordinary guest experiences while fulfilling the business strategy.
- Planning, directing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Rose Quarter including, booking, partners with sales & marketing, building operations, and facility maintenance.
- Lead, develop, and coach Rip City Management staff to create the top sports and entertainment organization in the Northwest.
- Planning, directing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Event Service Departments including, Guest Services, Security, Parking operations and event management teams.
- Leadership of a comprehensive program to provide the highest levels of guest service to our promoter partners, agents and performing acts; partners with cross-functional team for comprehensive Guest Experience culture experience to create extraordinary moments at the Rose Quarter.
- Development and management of the building’s operating budgets.
- Work with departmental management in the day-to-day operation of their various departmental disciplines; review and evaluate processes and results; identify and resolve challenges that do not build extraordinary moments at the Rose Quarter.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality and seamless guest experiences.
- Responsible for the creation and execution of emergency operating plans
- Work with department heads to partner on key initiatives and strategies to achieve business results.
- Provide leadership of the ongoing Rose Quarter programming sales efforts to maximize revenue and net profit opportunities through the rental of the Moda Center and its related assets.
- Build new relationships and nurture and maintain existing relationships in order to create opportunities for current and future events.
- Create unique value opportunities for promoter partners, agents and performing acts which provide short and long term growth for their business as well as ours.
- Research, analyze, and monitor industry trends and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity.
- Oversight, development and implementation of marketing activities, including internal resources that will maximize attendance and revenue at Arena events.
- Manage relationships with local public safety agencies and risk management for the complex
- College degree (BA/BS) from an accredited, four year university with degree in Business or related field.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience in a senior level operations/management position and must have directly supervised staff and operations of a complex, active, multi-use facility.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in arena programming, sales and service, artist management or event promotions.
- Strong conceptual and strategic skills and ability to work with and thoroughly understand all functional areas involved in managing a multi-million dollar sports and entertainment facility.
- Extensive experience creating and implementing complex budgets and event-related projections.
- High level of competence and experience making sound and timely business decisions and outlining short term and long term business plans and organizational changes to meet the needs of the business.
- Experience in working with artist agenda and promoters.
- Confidence in presenting plans and projections to all levels of internal and external partners.
- Experience developing planning tools, budgets, projections, etc.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Background in sustainable building operations/LEED facility management a plus.
- Broad knowledge of event marketing, media, brand management, promotions and sales.
- Proven track record of personal achievements, with the ability to “make things happen.”